Health and wellbeing
West Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust takes good care of its staff, so together we can take good care of our patients.
As a healthcare organisation we have a duty to support our community’s health, but as an employer we also have a duty to support our staff.
In our five year strategy, 'Our patients, our hospital, our future, together', we made a clear and substantial commitment to make prevention of ill health a core part of everything we do. You can read more about our focus on this in our 'Protecting and improving your health and wellbeing, together' publication.
We also have a Health and Wellbeing Policy.
Ensuring our staff’s mental wellbeing also helps provide good quality patient care; a healthy and happy workforce will also ensure the best service to patients. The Trust offers staff a number of support mechanisms to help them look after their own wellbeing.
- Active travel
- information on cycling and walking to work. Buying a bike tax-free, cycle parking and shower facilities
- Shower facilities -
- If staff want to cycle or run to work or do some exercise at lunchtime there are showers and changing facilities near the staff entrance/general office
- Time Out restaurant
- Our staff restaurant has won awards for its healthy, fresh, home-cooked food
- Sports groups and staff clubs
- Colleagues can connect with each other on social staff Facebook pages, to find a team to join, promote a club, or meet with people with similar hobbies
- NHS health checks
- OneLife Suffolk runs monthly clinics at Hardwick Lane and in community locations to provide NHS health checks for staff, volunteers and visitors. Call 01473 718193 to book.
- Stop smoking support
- You're four times more likely to quit with the help of occupational health. Staff can call 01284 713424 or visit OneLife Suffolk.
- Weight management
- The occupational health team can help any staff who would like to lose weight. Call 01284 713424 or visit OneLife Suffolk, which also provides free group classes.
- Musculoskeletal problems
- We have a specialist occupational physiotherapy service for staff who have musculoskeletal injuries, and staff can self-refer for this service.
- Care First
- A counselling and support service for all employees. Over the phone or online, it's completely confidential and available 24/7.
- Tea and empathy
- On-call emotional support for anyone who is having a really bad day.
- Hypnosis, relaxation and mindfulness
- Sports groups and staff clubs
- Physical exercise and socialising are both great for mental wellbeing. Colleagues can connect with each other on social staff Facebook pages, to find a team to join, promote a club, or meet with people with similar hobbies.
- A debt management service for any staff who may be experiencing financial stress.
- Travel with a colleague, share the driving and enjoy some company on the way to work.
- Books on prescription
- West Suffolk Hospital library stocks self-help books on a wide range of topics including stress, worry and relationship problems.
Regardless of whether you are religious or not, the chaplaincy team provides: a listening ear in times of difficulty or crisis, whether personal or work; a space to talk about life, the purpose or the meaning of things; and pastoral counselling. If you have a faith, they can also provide support with: practicing your faith or spiritual tradition; making contact with representatives of other faith communities; and prayer support.
- Pop into the Chapel at West Suffolk Hospital during office hours (the kettle is always on!), or phone ex. 3771, or 01284 713771 from an outside line.