Council of Governors
The Council of Governors is the collective body that supports and advises the executive and non-executive directors of the Trust. It works closely with the Trust Board to make sure services are meeting the needs of the local community.
Being a governor
The Council of Governors consists of 26 governors who gather the views of the hospital's members and give them a voice at the highest level of the organisation. These representatives have certain roles and responsibilities and must carry out statutory duties.
Governors' duties and powers include:
- Informing strategic direction
- Membership strategy
- Championing public and staff engagement
- Appoint chair and non-executive directors
- Approve appointment of chief executive
- Agree remuneration of non-executive directors
- Receive Trust’s annual report, annual accounts, appoint external auditors.
Our council of governors is broken down into the following groups:
Public Governors elected by our public members (including our patients and their carers)who must live in the county of Suffolk. This is made up of 14 people.
Staff Governors elected by our staff members who come from all staff groups including volunteers. This is made up of five people.
Partner organisations Governors nominated to represent the following organisations: Suffolk County Council, West Suffolk Council, University of Cambridge, West Suffolk College, Friends of West Suffolk Hospital and West Suffolk CCG. This is made up of seven people.
Our current governors by constituency
- Florence Bevan
- Robin Howe
- Ben Lord
- Gordon McKay
- Jayne Neal
- Adrian Osborne
- Jane Skinner
- Liz Steele
- Clive Wilson
- Louisa Honeybun
- Sarah Judge
- Amanda Keighley
- Martin Wood
*In accordance with the Trust’s constitution, if a vacancy arises for an elected Governor the Trust may, instead of holding a by-election, fill the vacancy by appointing the highest polling unsuccessful candidate at the most recent election of governors for the constituency or class in respect of which the vacancy has arisen. Any person so appointed shall hold office for the unexpired term of office of the retiring Governor.
- Cllr Carol Bull - West Suffolk Council, in consultation with Mid Suffolk District Council Babergh District Council
- Cllr Rebecca Hopfensperger - Suffolk County Council
- Dr Thomas Pulimood - University of Cambridge
- Dr David Brandon - Associate Medical Director, West Suffolk Alliance
- Elspeth Lees - West Suffolk College in consultation with University of Suffolk
Contact the governors
For further information about our Council of Governors, please contact deputy Trust secretary, Pooja Sharma: Pooja.Sharma@wsh.nhs.uk
If you wish to contact any of our governors, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Council of Governor meetings
Members of the public are invited to attend and observe Council of Governor meetings.
Meeting papers are posted on this page a few days before each meeting. Venue and timings will be stated in the papers posted.
2023 meeting dates
Council of Governors papers
To view an archive of previous Council papers please click here.
Please find the Council of Governors Governance Review here.