Plastic surgery is the reconstruction or refashioning of body tissues to restore form, function or to reduce pain. Its speciality is defined by surgical techniques for the handling and movement of tissues.
The plastic surgery department is multi-site based and offers face to face and video consultations for cancer and skin surgical intervention at both West Suffolk Hospital Outpatients Department and Newmarket Hospital Outpatients. The department performs procedures primarily in Newmarket Hospital Minor Operations and West Suffolk Day Surgery Unit.
Our aim is to treat patients with skill, confidentiality, compassion and understanding.
- Skin cancer
- Facial skin reconstruction
- Hand surgery
- Paediatric plastic surgery
- Aesthetic procedures for patients with approved funding
The Plastic Surgery department at West Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust does not perform non-funded activity and is only commissioned by Suffolk and North Essex ICB to provide the above services. Further information regarding this can be found here on pages 47 and 48.
The waiting list for surgery is booked in order of clinical priority and length of wait. Patient’s waiting a date for surgery will be contacted as soon as the team are able to offer a date. Patient’s will be contacted via telephone or letter.
Queries related to the dressing clinic should be directed to 01284 7123265. Voicemails will be responded to within 24 hours.
Information for referring GP's
- Advice and Guidance can be found via e-RS
- Patients who require funding for their treatment should not be referred without funding attached
- Suspected melanomas and squamous cell cancers should be referred through the rapid cancer referral service