Macmillan information centre
When you’re affected by cancer, having the right kind of information and support, at the right time, is essential. The Macmillan cancer information and support centre at West Suffolk Hospital offers support, advice and information for anyone affected by cancer.
Find out the support services that the Centre provides and services that are available to our cancer patients below.
Thank you to our hospital charity, My WiSH Charity, who kindly support the cancer unit here at West Suffolk Hospital and provide many enhancements including the HOPE courses, counselling sessions, exercise classes and Mama B’s for our cancer patients. Find out more about My WiSH charity and the work they do to enhance care for patients of West Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust here.
Staffed by a Macmillan information and support specialist and trained volunteers, the centre offers the following information and support:
- Literature on cancer including specific tumour sites, treatments, side effects and the emotional impact of a cancer diagnosis
- Resources on issues relating to cancer such as:
- diet and nutrition
- managing cancer in the workplace
- coping with the cost of cancer e.g. grants, benefits
- transport issues e.g. blue badges
- coping with fatigue
- hair loss (wigs and scarves)
How we can support you
- A listening ear and emotional support in a relaxed environment
- Contact details for local support groups for patients, families and carers
- HOPE six week, self-management courses for patients at the end of their treatment
- Referrals to counselling, benefits advice, family support, complementary therapies and physical activity
- Holistic needs assessments to help you get support with any concerns you may have.
Contact the team
Telephone: 01284 713023
Macmillan support line: 08088 080000
The Macmillan information and support centre is located in the Macmillan outpatients area in the Macmillan Unit at the rear of West Suffolk Hospital.
The centre is open Monday to Friday, 9.00am - 4.30pm.
Anybody can drop in, no appointment is necessary.
If you or someone you know has had cancer in the last couple of years, our HOPE course might be for you. The course is for people who have completed their treatment and would like support to move forward with their life with confidence.
The next programme starts on Thursday, 23 February 2023 and will last for 6 weeks, taking place each Thursday10am-12.30pm at the Moreton Hall Community Centre in Bury St. Edmunds.
We also have HOPE courses running from the 8 June 2023 and 5 October 2023
Find out more by contacting the Macmillan Information and Support Centre on 01284 713 023, or firstname.lastname@example.org.